Tustin East-West Airship Hangar
Built in less than 1 year in 1942, the two airship hangars in Tustin
are each over 1000 feet long, 120' tall and 300' wide and claim to
be the largest wood structures in the world. During WWII these hangars
were used to house up to six helium airships each, for patrolling
the coast of california. They sit perpindicular to eachother, allowing
at least one to launch depending on wind conditions. The major construction
materials include bolted arched wood trusses, corrugated metal siding
and reinforced concrete door supports andbase wall foundations.
After WWII the airship program was disbanded and the hangars were
used for helicopter maintenance and storage until the marine base
closed in the 1990's. Currently the hangars are unoccupied, and the
land is set to be transfered from the navy to the city of Orange.
The city has preliminary plans to demoliton the north-south hangar
for an extension of a road through the base.