Flint, Michigan is where the American automaker General
Motors was founded and headquartered in 1908. A center of auto production
during much of the past century, its fortunes have closely mirrored that
of the American auto industry. As recently as forty years ago, it was home
to 190,000 people, including 80,000 GM employees. Today, Flint is shrinking.
Since the 1960’s 70,000 people have moved out of Flint and General
Motors has cut over 60,000 local jobs. This photo series documents the depopulation
of Flint, visible in the abandoned structures caught in a process of decay,
many facing eventual demolition.